Sunday, January 29, 2006

smell that smell...

Went to my sister's for her son's birthday tonight. Even though she didn't smoke while we were there, she is supposed to be quitting, I came home smelling pretty foul. I came home and changed my clothes right away. YECH!
OH MY GOD! The smell is everywhere - the sofa, the walls, the dishes...she smokes inside her house - with her 13 year old son right there. He smells like smoke, it's in his clothes, it's on his skin. Does she not stop to think about what she is doing to HIS lungs, she obviously doesn't care what she is doing to her own.
I used to be a smoker but I am proud to be a NON-SMOKER for 18 1/2 years. And as my smoker friends will gladly tell you, I am not very supportive of their difficulty in fighting the nasty 'cancer-stick'. I was one of the very few, fortunate smokes who quit 'cold-turkey' and therefore I do not appreciate the difficulty. I am getting better and trying to give my friends their space. I am not giving up though, I am still going to do my best to encourage them to quit. But for a lot of smokers their cigarettes are a crutch and that I completely understand. Can you say booze! NO, I am not an alcoholic, just an occasional drinker, occasionally when I feel the need for a crutch!
But we all have a need - be it cigarettes, a good stiff drink every once in awhile, weed, you name it - we reach for whatever is our comforter, our crutch to help us get through whatever may be our troubles. So, as much as I wish my friends would STOP, I do understand their reasons.

No comments: