Monday, January 23, 2006

Envy

I envy my friends who have wonderful loving husbands whom they enjoy spending time with. The kind of husbands who would do almost anything for them. I think I envy them more because I used to have one, I used to know what it was like. I am having a very hard time liking my husband these days, so I am far from wanting to spend time with him.

While talking with a friend today the conversation got around to when her poor husband gets home tonight he is going to snowblow their yard. My husband was home from a day spent snowmobiling when I got home. I asked him if he was going to clean our yard. His response was pretty clear - if I wanted it done I was going to have to do it myself. I was prepared for that response.... as much as we hope things will change they have a way of staying the same, good or bad.

When does it get to the point of no-return? When do you just put your hands up in the air and say "I give up, I can't do this anymore!"? You try to make changes but one can't do it alone.

A friend keeps telling me that we have to treat our partners like we treat our friends. Yes, I agree but if my friends treated me the way my husband sometimes does they wouldn't be my friends. So, why do we hang on? Why do we continue on in a relationship that is not as it once was?

No comments: