Saturday, May 05, 2007

Finally the weather is co-operating. I have managed to get outside this morning and start working on my poor, neglected flower beds. I really want to do some extra work this year on one that has been here from when my Grandmother owned the house. We bought my grandparent's house from my parents after they had both passed away, my father's parents. And there is still this one little corner of the yard that keeps my Granny with me. I have even managed, over the past 23 years, to keep some of her peonies alive. Actually, the peonies are older than that, I have just been nurturing them for the past 23 years, they are probably almost as old as I am. Over all these years I have also tended to some of Grannies hens and chickens.

Gardening is a favorite hobby of mine...it's a great relaxation tool. I have even been known to get down in my friend's dirt as well. When you see a weed, pull it! It's amazing how much time you can fritter away while working in the garden. When the flowers are blossoming it's a well earned reward. I get my green thumb from my mother. She has always enjoyed her flowers, not that she has ever spent much time tending them...some people just have the knack for having great looking gardens without having to spend too much time working in them. I guess as long as the prep work is dong properly the rest can be leisure time in the garden.

I look at the lawn and realize that time has taken a toll on the lush green grass that once was there, time and the kids with numerous wheeled toys and vehicles, such as bikes, scooters, 4-wheelers and even the snowmobiles. For the past few years I keep saying, this will be the year I reseed...so, maybe this will be the year I finally do just that.

Enough procrastinating, time to get back to work.

1 comment:

BeachMama said...

I love working in the garden. We have only been in this house two year so the gardens are growing slowly. In time I hope they are lush and beautiful and only require a little TLC. How cool that you live in your Grandparents house!