Friday, December 30, 2005

Loneliness

I don't know how it's possible to feel lonely in a house full of people but sometimes I do. Felt very lonely/alone today. Called a friend just to hear a friendly voice knowing that she would be there like so many times before.

Kids all at home, husband home early from work, everyone doing their own thing. With everyone so involved in their own lives it sometimes seems like our paths very rarely cross. I spent the better part of the day cleaning the house, getting ready for a family New Years dinner. With 5 people in the house it can still be a very lonely place. Sometimes I crave being alone but being lonely is entirely different. The feeling of loneliness is something that can be very overwhelming.

Being a mother and wife can take over your whole life, if you let it. And then one day you wake up and realize that you have left yourself behind. A few years after my youngest child was born I felt the need to get out of the house, to find a place for myself so that when the lonliness becomes unbearable I have a place to go and find company and comfort. I am not usually comfortable in large groups but I enjoy time spent with close friends, good conversation, a few laughs. I have found a company of women that I love being with, they are my runaway place. Whether it's an impromptu lunch date, a dessert night, a shopping trip or just to sit and chat, it's good! It's comfort, it's warmth!

No comments: