Sunday, December 11, 2005

13 Shopping days till Christmas...

Every year I tell myself I am going to start my Christmas shopping early and every year I find myself racing to beat the approaching deadline. And every year the kids ask for bigger and more expensive gifts. Mp3 players seem to be all the rage this year, I know I am buying 2 maybe 3.

1 of my kids still believes in the magic of Santa, 1 wants to believe and 1 believes because he knows it is part of the magic of the season to believe. It is wondeful to hear my 14 year old tell his 7 years old sister that there really is a Santa and that Ben doesn't know what he is talking about. Because we all know that if you don't believe it really isn't so magical anymore.

Tonight we are setting up our tree. I put the lights on (because my husband tells me that if I want it done 'right' I had better do it myself (poor guy, if you try you can do it right too) - the lights have to go inside the branches not just on the outside....the tree is so picky but by tomorrow most of the pain will be gone, or atleast the memory of it) and my kids put the rest of the decorations on. It is taking a little longer tonight because at the same time we are watching "The Santa Claus", so it's put on a few decorations then stop to watch the movie.

We got our tree last Sunday. A very dear friend started a wonderful tradition a few years ago where by we get together at her place, have a potluck brunch and then we all jump into our vehicles and head out to the bush for a "Christmas tree hunt". The kids look forward to this every year, the adults look forward to this. Some families come and some families go but there is a core group of 4 families that have continued almost every year. This year one family was not able to be with us because they are now living in a different part of the country but they were there in spirit (Hi, Calgary) And a new family was invited to become part of our tradition, I'm hoping they continue for years to come (love ya Kris). Traditions are good!
It started out with some of us not knowing each other but it is amazing how fast you can become friends with people that you may only get together with once a year and how you look forward to seeing them again after such a long time.
The weather was just perfect, not too cold with a little light snow and once in awhile the sun would pop through the clouds. It was perfect enough for a snowball fight. Kris and I, being the biggest kids, started it all. The kids were looking at us like we were juvenile or something (LOL) but it wasn't long before they realized we were having all the fun and they quickly joined us.

Happy shopping everyone and Merry Christmas!


No comments: