Saturday, December 24, 2005

The Eve of Christmas

I can officially say all the shopping is done, everything is in place, Santa is on his way. Pretty soon visions of sugar plums will be dancing in our heads - sugarplums, what would be the modern version of sugarplums?

I spent time with my mother yesterday while on our way to pick up my twin brother at the train station. She was recounting the olden days, days way before I was born or even thought about. She and my father took the train and headed into the city, Ottawa being the city in this case, and spending the days before Christmas doing their shopping. My father bought a dress for his little sisters, cost- $1. each, brand new. She remembers buying a 1lb. box of Laura Secord chocolates for $.99. And there was the time they bought a suitcase so they could carry everything home on the train. I immediately thought how wonderful it would be to take a train ride into the city for the day. What a wonderful way to relax and let time slow down. The train left this part of the world a long time ago, someone didn't have very much forethought.

A friend had asked Kris and I if we would come to her house on the afternoon of Christmas Eve to take some family photos. Even though we both had family plans, Kris' being out of town and starting earlier in the day than mine, we did not hesitate. That's what you do for friends, right!
Turns out the family has grown considerably since the last time I saw most of them, (we all went to the same high school.) What we walked into this afternoon was the epitome of Christmas time. Drinks were flowing, laughter was everywhere (lots of playful teasing) and I could smell the turkey from outside. Photos taken, we were on our way. Kris to her family party at the cottage and me to a chinese dinner to celebrate an anniversary.

Really looking forward to tomorrow when my family gathers at my mother's house. My twin brother will take over the kitchen - thinks himself a chef (actually he is pretty good in the kitchen but I would never tell him that - it would only go to his head), I will once again try to make the gravy "just like Grandma". My sister will avoid any kind of work and Mom will delight in the fact that again Randy and I are arguing and teasing each other over who is the better cook of the two (it really is on-going). Over the last few years it has been my brother and I taking over preparing the Christmas meal - that is after Mom has spent countless days prepared the stuffing and veggies and pies. The best part of the meal will be the turkey, nothing says Christmas like turkey.

And before we know it everyone will be trying to find the best seat in the house to sit and rest our over stuffed bellies. Talk will be about how anyone could eat so much and how we wish we hadn't eaten so much. Ahhh, can't wait!

No comments: