Wednesday, March 28, 2007

More discussion on Quebec language problems

Well, the election is over, good or bad. It was a very long 12 1/2 hours working the polls. The good news is that I only had problem with one voter who told me in French that since this was a Quebec election I should be speaking in French. No, respect for me as an English speaking person, born and raised in this province. What made this even more hurtful was that this person speaking to me is very new to our community, a community that is one of the very few English language communities left in this province. Little did she know that I could speak to her in French, enough to make myself understood, if the need arises. My first mistake was that I said "Hello" and not "Bonjour". My answer to her was that "I am speaking the language of my province, the one I was born in and have lived in my entire life". When she put her ballot in the ballot box I said, "Merci, bonne journée". She walked away without even a, "Merci, et vous!". Silly stuff!

Really, how hard is it to respect other people for their differences? Why is it so difficult to understand that we should be allowed to live comfortably, without retribution, in our own land?
It is becoming more and more impossible to get a job in this province if you do not have French as your first language. We are almost considered immigrants and we have all read in the papers lately how the Québécois treat immigrants.

This is not about all French speaking people because I know many French speaking Canadians that I have great respect for. One of my very best friends speaks French. I was going to say "she is French speaking" but that is like putting a label on her. French speaking, English speaking? Why should there be such a difference that we cannot get along and not celebrate our differences? Why should our spoken language be allowed to label us? How/Why does it make one of us more or less superior than the other?

The problem are the Québécois, the Separatists, who are fighting to take away the rights of the English in this province. But they are also isolating themselves from the rest of the country. Their own children, who are brought up speaking only French, are struggling to cope in the rest of the country where they cannot communicate.

I'm done now, I'm stepping off this soapbox!

2 comments:

BeachMama said...

I could join you on your soapbox. I feel pretty much the same way about the situation accross the river (I don't actually live in Quebec) as you do. It is so hard to see that in this day and age there are people who actually think they will benefit being all alone. Which is exactly what they will be, alone.

HOpe you have recovered from your long day.

Bonita said...

It's always great to hear that we are not alone in our struggle, knowing we have friends outside of Quebec who would like to see us stay is very heartwarming.