Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Puberty

I'm not ready for puberty. Today my 14 year old and his buddy were hanging out with the opposite sex. They did the usual 'kid thing', they went snowboarding and sliding. Then they got kicked out of home of one of the girls. This one particular girl is the 'girlfriend' of my son's buddy and my friend Kris' niece; she is living with Kris and her family to finish out this school year. (atleast for the time being this means I'm not going through puberty alone - always good to have a companion)

Being responsible parents or guardians, a 15 year old girl is not allowed boys in the house without proper adult supervision. Kris being at work husband/uncle Terry was in charge. So being a male means he was once a 14 year old boy so who better to know what a 14 year old boy can get up to but a past graduate. "Sorry boys, not allowed in the basement!"

Kayla is one of those kids that quickly feels like one of the family. She came to live with her aunt and uncle and immediately became one of the bunch. No one was a stranger. All the mothers began to mother. You know how you keep an eye out for your friend's little people, well there was never any question that we would all look out for her as well.
Having a deep respect for Kayla's aunt and her mother I will be there if ever needed, I will help in anyway I am allowed. And what really surprises me is that Kayla has taken to it. Actually, I shouldn't be surprised - she is one cool kid. The first hint I had that she was cool with me was the day she walked by me at homework club and gave me a little shove just like Aunt Kris and I would do to each other - she's seen us being juvenile, she was playing the game. Things were ok, I was ok. So needless to say I 'mother' her - for instance when I noticed she wasn't going to wear a coat to go sliding/snowboarding today I called her on it. "Where's your coat Kayla?" "I'm not going to wear one, I don't need one." "Kayla, go get a coat on, it's too cold to be without a coat today." "No, I'm ok." "Go get your coat Kayla." "Huh!" and with a roll of the eyes and a hint of a grin she went to get her coat on. Too funny. The poor kid is surrounded by mothers and she takes it all in stride. The two guys even had a laugh over it. Hopefully times like this gives my kid a chance to see me in a different light - maybe I am ok, maybe I am not just his crazy Mom - someone else thinks I'm ok.
Anyway, back to puberty. Seeing that the boys couldn't stay in the house with the girls they all decided to go for a walk about. Pit stop at home to change out of snowpants. Having noticed they really didn't know where to go or what to do I said why not just stick around here and hang out. And they did. Don't know what to do with 4 teenagers but I went about my business preparing supper and tried to ignore them or rather tried to appear inconspicuous. Our house doesn't have a room where anyone can hang out without having the whole family in their face. They hung out and had a great time and all the while I just kept thinking my little boy isn't so little anymore. He is officially a teenager - and I have to deal with that.

Then I get a phone call from a friend who tells me her daughter, who is almost the same age as my son, is developing breasts and is starting to look like a teenager girl.

HELP! We're surrounded by puberty and there's no way out.

No comments: