Friday, June 08, 2007

SEVEC...

...Society for Education Visits and Exchanges in Canada.

My 11 year old son is off to Codroy Valley, Newfoundland tomorrow with 17 other children from the area, 9 of which are from our community, so he knows most of them from school and one girl is on his soccer team.

Last week, May 26 to June 2 we hosted their "twins" from the Codroy Valley, 25 plus their 4 adult chaperones. It is a marvelous adventure for all the children, but not just the children - the adults have a great time as well. It's a wonderful way to expose everyone to the different regions of Canada, places and events some children may never have another opportunity to experience. I am so envious of my son, hmmm I wonder what the penalty is for being a stow-away these days.

I was surprised when Ben said he wanted to participate in this program. I know that when Alex, my oldest son, did a SEVEC exchange 3 years ago Ben said he couldn't wait to be in grade 6 so he could do the same but Ben is my stay at home child. Alex and Sarah are my travelers, always staying over with friends and going places but Ben only sleeps over at his buddy Matt's house and that is barely 5 min. away - 30 sec. as the crow flies. Just days before Emily, Ben's twin from the Valley, was to fly in with her group he said he didn't want to do this...sorry buddy, too late now. You see, I'm sure part of his problem was that he is an 11 year old boy who was being twinned with a 14 year old girl...but by the 2nd. day they were almost like old buddies. Emily is the youngest of 5 children and an aunt to 2 little boys so she was not about to shy away from Ben. Once he got to know her he had a great time. On the last night she was here they were sitting together on the sofa, same sofa - not at other sides of the room, chatting up a storm about the weeks events and planning how to stay in contact. I am so glad for email, MSN and whatever technology will allow these kids to remain in contact.

As the bus pulled out on Friday morning for the return trip to Newfoundland, our guests reluctantly going home, there was a steady stream of tears, many hugs and plenty of good-byes. It is amazing what a strong bond can be made between total strangers in such a short period of time. Late that evening our phone rings, I pick it up to hear Emily excitedly telling me she was home safe and sound. When I asked what time she got home her reply was that she had "just gotten in the door". It was so heart-warming to know that she enjoyed herself so much with our family that she couldn't wait to call and let us know she was home safe...and that she wants to come back sometime to visit. I hope that will happen someday.

I am reassured, after meeting all these great kids and adults, that Ben will have the time of his life. He has been MSNing all week, getting to know everyone even better.

SEVEC is a wonderful experience and if your child (and you - because as much as it is for the children it envelopes the entire family) ever gets the chance to participate I say let them do it, the rewards are plenty.

No comments: