Saturday, April 22, 2006

Dinner and a Friend

38 years and counting, more years than most of you have probably been alive but that is how long Gail and I have been friends - since grade 1. Can you imagine! I talk to my kids about the value of friendship - this one is priceless.
There is always a long time between get togethers, sometimes years but the years do not create a distance. I know her family, she knows mine. She went away, the first time, before grade 10. Spent many years in the West. Many years of good and bad. She spent some time back here then went away again. Came home pregnant with her only child, a son, now ready to turn 18. During these 18 years she has been as close as she has ever been but life and family has made get together time difficult.
After talking about it for the better part of 3 years we finally made a date for dinner and stuck with it. Tonight, dinner at Kelsey's in Kanata, minutes became hours and before we knew it we were all caught up on each others life. Kids being the main topic of conversation - the good, the bad, the ugly. She, single mother, living the life I wish I had, me with husband and 3 kids having the life that makes her wonder in years to come if she will feel that she has missed something. She wondered about loneliness when her son leaves home but she is content, she is happy, she is where she wants to be. I marvel at her bravery of being alone raising a son who, by the way, is growing into a wonderful young man - being alone is what I wish for on those days when family life and problems are weighing me down but in all honesty I don't know if I am/will ever be/ or ever has been as brave as she is.
We laughed, we talked and talked and talked...time stood still - we parted making plans to meet again real soon...

No comments: