Monday, May 22, 2006

1st time job

Son #1 recently started his very first paying job, cutting Nannie's grass really doesn't count - especially when he only manages to cut it two or three times a season.

Last Thursday was his first day on the job. I have been after him for a couple of weeks to go see Ruth at Café 349. He has worked a couple of times for her within the past year taking out the recycling and it's not like he doesn't know everyone there, they are all my friends and the kids and I practically live there...it's so great to have a non-smoking place wtih great eats.

Saturday evening he worked 4 - 10, there was an anniversary party booked. He was so excited he was gone by 3:30 - we live 5 min. away (walking distance). Shortly after 10 p.m. he called for a ride home, "Mom, we're almost done. Come and get me." As I was stopped at a red light (at our only set of traffic lights - two steps from the Café) he came out of the Café, complete with the biggest grin I have ever seen. He walked down the street like he owned the whole town. I don't know who was more proud of him, me or himself. Turns out the dinner was for our neighbors and half the people he knew. The biggest hit of the night was his $20. tip.

The first job - so exciting. I was pretty sure he would be able to get a job with Ruth. I am so glad he is working there, Ruth is good people. Plus since everyone is a friend I know for sure he is in good hands and everyone will keep an eye on him. He's a good kid. A complete pain in the ass but what 14 year old isn't.

Recently I was away from home at the QFHSA AGM in Montreal. Part way there we made a pit stop at the Hudson Tim Horton's for coffee and snacks to tide us over till our scheduled dinner at the Dorval Hilton. I took the time to call home to see how everyone was doing. Alex, #1 son, answered the phone. I almost asked who I was talking to. I couldn't believe how mature he sounded. When I got off the phone I commented to my travel partners that my little boy was became a man and that he was doing it without me noticing, right under my eyes. He has a man voice. Yesterday I noticed he has very noticable hair on his legs. WOW! Guess I had better start keeping track of the changes.

No comments: